Wednesday, April 8, 2009

2009 Concert Reviews: V Festival Melbourne - DUFFY

The Melbourne leg of the V Festival was last Saturday and boy, did my bro. and I enjoy it. This festival is way underrated in Oz as it seems to be more laid back than say the Big Day Out. It obviously does not have as many bands as many other festivals do but if the quality is there, like it was this year than I don't care. Remember quality over quantity. I got to see 3 great bands in a row in a great position. V is for over 18's only which seems to attract less (not all) dick heads who are there to ruin other people's good time rather than just chill and enjoy some good music.

We got there fairly early as I wanted to go see Duffy. I must say she was very good. I love her record but I didn't know how she would sing it live because the sound the album has a lot to do with the way it was produced. She had an amazing backing band and these two twin back up dancers that had the same hair, makeup and outfit which just added to the 60s throwback. I was very impressed and wouldn't mind seeing her solo show with just her fans. She didn't get as large a crowd as she probably would have gotten in Europe but I think she enjoyed herself. By the way, the crowd up front was full of diehard fans which is not unusual in the festival setting, but I think she managed to convert some of those punters that were either casual fans or strolling by. Piccies below...




Photos © 2009 music=love

After Duffy we had a 2 hr. break so we caught a bit of Elbow from the stands and it was good. I haven't really heard anything from them except for their brilliant cover of U2's 'Running to Stand Still'. We left early to go to check out Jenny Lewis who was playing on the same stage as the 'Big 3' (Razorlight, Kaiser Chiefs and the Killers) and this was the perfect opportunity to get a good spot near the front, and we did, and this remained our spot for all 3 bands' sets. She was actually really good and it didn't feel like we were just buying time until Razorlight took the stage. She held her own even though many people, including us did not know who she was. I must get her album as she has this country and folk sound but still very contemporary which I like.

Anyways, I will update each act in separate posts with pictures so look out for RAZORLIGHT next!!

Loz

No comments: