Thursday, April 30, 2009

2009 Album Reviews: NEIL YOUNG - FORK IN THE ROAD

Neil Young returns with what I see as an industrial album. In a previous post I said that the record was based around his hybrid-engine car project, Lincvolt. Well now that I have heard it I can definitely vouch for this as running throughout is an auto-centric feel with an environmental message to find alternative energy sources. This is evident in every song but the lyric that gets me is on ‘Get Behind the Wheel’ where he sings.

“You know she loves those long slow curves
So take her for a spin
(You gotta get behind the wheel)...she always wants to please you...”

Young is very open about his political stance and his support of social issues so if you are not into the political being overt in music this may not be your thing. However, I believe the best music ever written has been political or about certain issues and without this music would be dull and lifeless.

What to expect from ‘Fork In The Road’? I think there are some amazing songs on this album. ‘When Worlds Collide’ is the perfect opener because it’s an up- tempo rock song. I see in this song a lot of comparisons with his previous work e.g. Rockin’ In the Free World’ but without the punch in the chorus or seminal lyric or phrase. On first listen I enjoyed the tune but didn’t think it was one of my favourites from the album but now it’s growing on me rapidly. ‘Fuel Line’ isn’t anything too exciting but it does go well with ‘When Worlds Collide’. I really don’t have much to say about this except for the fact that his voice pretty much sounds the same as it did in the 60s. I don’t know if you all noticed that but whenever he releases a record you can tell from the get go that it’s Neil Young. ‘Just Singing A Song’ is absolutely the best on this album! There is a refinement in this song that is just not present in all his songs. It has everything; a meaningful lyric that is also interesting and a great guitar part for Neil to play on. I don’t know what it is but ‘Johnny Magic’ just doesn’t appeal to me. I think this has to do with the fact that after I heard the whole album for the third time I was very much over the car theme. But then I figured this was partly due to me playing Neil Young (older material included) for about 2 days straight. I returned to it just now and have to say, still not digging it. Oh well... I think ‘Cough Up the Bucks’ has an AMAZING groove that grabbed me as soon as I heard the first couple of notes. However, throughout the whole song Neil uses the phrase ‘Cough up the Bucks...’ in an annoyingly repetitive way. This is definitely not his best but the music is great so he wins a lot of points there. I adore ‘Get Behind the Wheel’ as it has a dirty southern rock feel with loads of heart. Also, I think the female backing vocalists help balance Neil’s rough around the edges voice and adds some edge. ‘Off the Road’ is the first track on this album to offer some harmonies even though it is very, very subtle. I love it when he does harmonies as not many singers or bands do it anymore. From ‘Off the Road’ to ‘Hit the Road’ there is a distinct change and I once again find myself completely blown away by how great a songwriter and musician Neil is. I still love ‘Just Singing A Song’ but this is coming in a close second. I am taken by the way it feels a lot like classic Neil Young and the first time I heard him when my Dad played Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young’s ‘Helpless’ to me. When I heard ‘Light a Candle’ for the first time I freaked because it was so stunning and light to listen to. I suggest for all those newcomers to Neil Young that aside from the classics like ‘Heart of Gold’ this track can be part of your introduction into his world. The closer to the album, ‘Fork in the Road’ finishes it the same way we started with a true rock & roll song. I am not too fond of it because it does sound similar to other stuff here but I guess it could be worse.

For me, ‘Fork In the Road’ is an album that is difficult for both long term fans and more casual fans, like myself because it is in many respects a concept album. I, for one, got tired of hearing about driving, the road and cars whether in metaphor or not, but despite this there are some songs that really ‘get’ you in a way only Neil Young’s songwriting can. This is a great record by many standards and every time he releases an album I will always get excited purely because of his amazing back catalogue and he does such interesting stuff even if it isn’t always my cup of tea.

No comments: