Thursday, May 21, 2009

Listening to...

Sorry guys for the delay on the weekly tunes I've been very slack on that front. I'm actually listening to loads of different stuff but the album that is really getting to me is Regina Spektor's Begin To Hope. It hasn't been on high rotation until recently and since hearing about her new release I am immersing myself in her world. Also, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Sigur Rós is being played a lot around my house.

Anyways, you know the drill, samples of the songs below are on your right for your enjoyment.

1. The World We Live In - The Killers. This is the 3rd single for Europe and Australia whilst A Dustland Fairytale is the tune for the US market. This is a great song on its own but is often overshadowed by many of the other songs off Day & Age.
The video for 'The World We Live In'

Also, here is the band performing 'A Dustland Fairytale' on the Late Show with David Letterman with a full orchestra. This is an absolutely beautiful arrangement and if there is one thing you do this week it should be watching this.

2. On the Radio - Regina Spektor. Wow! It's so stunning and it plays well at dinner parties. There is this line that always gets me "...It feels a little worse than when we drove our hearse...right through the screaming crowd..."
3. While My Guitar Gently Weeps - The Beatles. This is so beautiful it makes my heart ache. It has to be my favourite Beatles song EVER. I know a lot of people can't pick their fave and they are right there are so many songs that are worthy but this one is so special to me that I want it tattooed to me.
4. Fidelity - Regina Spektor. I told you I was listening to a lot of Regina Spektor lately. This song makes me feel light and happy and it has the ability to put me in a good mood almost immediately.
5. Heads Will Roll - Yeah Yeah Yeahs. This is pure dance-punk heaven for me! This band just keep getting better and better and they have managed to change their sound in a way that fits seamlessly with their previous work. The best line from this song and possibly the whole album is "Off with your head, dance until your're dead..." It sums everything up about It's Blitz!.

That's it folks!

No comments: