Tuesday, May 26, 2009

2009 Album Releases: THE MARS VOLTA - OCTAHEDRON

Prog-rockers The Mars Volta release their fifth, Octahedron on June 22nd worldwide and in the US on the 23rd. I'm amazed by the fact that these guys have almost released an album every year and they were talking about this record in Jan 2008, the same month they were to release The Bedlam in Goliath. This is so unusual as bands usually focus on one record at a time but these guys have stated that their next two albums have already been recorded. AWESOME for us fans!! I have gained an appreciation for these guys over the years because it is a bit different from other rock bands and nowadays with the onslaught of electro-pop/punk sounding records they are, dare I say it; a breath of fresh air.

This record is supposed to be less heavy than their previous work and Omar Rodríguez-López went so far as to say it was their acoustic album. However, don't expect a typical acoustic record! If you can't wait to hear what they are doing you can get a taste with their first single 'Cotopaxi' below. The sound quality is actually quite good.

Tracklisting:
  1. Since We've Been Wrong
  2. Teflon
  3. Halo of Nembutals
  4. With Twilight as My Guide
  5. Cotopaxi
  6. Desperate Graves
  7. Copernicus
  8. Luciforms
FYI, I didn't get AC/DC tickets even to the two other shows that were subsequently released the same day. I knew they would sell out quickly and I didn't feel like camping out for them...will only do that for one band and did it once already!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the Mars volta.
I've never really had the patience for the whole prog-rock thing.
I should give them another listen, I might change my mind.

We got Ac/DC tickets by fluke. I happened to be procrastinating online at the exact same time as the shows were announced.

We'll be in general admission. which will be interesting considering some of the crazed fans I've seen so far.

music=love said...

Those crazy Acca Dacca fans I would kill to be with them, it enhances the experience. I'm sure you will have a blast!
I need a change from what I have been listening to recently and the new Mars Volta record will do that.