Sunday, May 10, 2009

2009 Concert Reviews: Little Red at Hi-Fi Bar 8/5/09

I can honestly say that Little Red is one of the most unique bands out there. First, there is no official lead singer as it rotates among three talented guys. There are five members and they all sing harmonies except the drummer who is extremely entertaining as it is with his Ringo Starr head bob. Second, their energy feeds off into the crowd which makes for a great time for all and vice versa. Third, they have the talent to be a much bigger band so commercial radio and TV play LITTLE RED NOW!!

Before the gig really started my friend said she did not expect the crowd that were there but I knew differently as Little Red appeal to the hipster and retro crowd. By the way, there is nothing wrong with hipster gear and those that like retro clothing as I like some of it. The Hi-Fi Bar is a classic Melbourne venue, one I’ve been to many times even for underage gigs so I definitely love it and will continue to go there until I decide to stop going to gigs or leave Melbourne. The first support band, Young Lovers were really decent. They have a pretty straight forward indie-rock sound that is similar to the Britpop of the 90s and most importantly after the gig I felt they complimented Little Red’s 60s/70s-ish sound. I’ll probably be down at JB to buy their EP because I think they have a future worth watching. The second act, Ground Components was different to say the least. These guys combine rock with an interesting use of Latin conga and bongo drums, keys and standard guitars and drums. The music is fantastic but the vocals are strange and that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s bad as it just left me perplexed. The lead singer does a lot of screaming which does not match the style of music they play and I have to admit when I first heard them play I knew it was going to be good but then the singer started and my friend and I both gave each other confused looks. He has some Peter Garrett dance moves which were great as at least he and the rest of the band gave a lot. Also, I should say the guitarist broke his foot and played the entire show in a chair...good one as I can imagine how uncomfortable he was.

Now onto the main event...Little Red. As soon as Ground Components finished their set much of the crowd left the bar and moved to the pit and surrounding area. My mate and I found a good spot and hung out for the start. As I said before they certainly know how to put on a good show and I think they were excited to be playing their hometown crowd. They showcased tracks from their LP, Listen to Little Red and some new tracks. I like the fact that they appreciate good music and I adore most music from the 60s so this appeals to me on a personal level. There is also a bluesy feel which was particularly evident in the live setting and some of the new songs. The crowd was also really into it and many people knew the words to all the song (minus any new ones) and enthusiastically responded to any crowd participation initiated. For the last song before the encore Ground Components and I guess a couple of both bands’ friends joined Little Red on stage in a mass of dancing and other randomness. Little Red’s set ended with a new song and a classic so we could all go home happy.

All I have to say is if this is what Melbourne and Oz, for that matter is producing then there is nothing to worry about. Enjoy all the photos!
This particular photo is credited to © 2009 herve photographic at FasterLouder.com.au as my bestest mate and I were lucky enough to be photographed for the website above. There are more photos from this particular gig and many others under the Photos link plus news on the latest gigs happening around Oz.

Photos © 2009 music=love









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Little Red are such a good band. They said during their set that they'd try and do another underage gig which would be awesome.
The Ground Compants were confusing. Toatlly not what I expected but it was entertaining.
I'll have to look up Young Lovers.

music=love said...

I'm glad you had a good time! The Ground Components were definitely unique but I can't quite say it was bad. Young Lovers were awesome really worth checking out. Their myspace page is here and you can hear some of their work
http://www.myspace.com/wearetheyounglovers