Tuesday, July 21, 2009

2009 Concert Reviews: Yves Klein Blue at Northcote Social Club 10/07/2009

Yves Klein Blue gave a rousing performance at the Northcote Social Club a few Fridays ago in support of their first full length album 'Ragged & Ecstatic'. I have to say I hadn't really heard much of them as I don't really listen to the radio and I usually discover a band via word of mouth or through music magazines. However, a mate suggested going to this and I jumped at the chance as I need to get back into my Aussie music. It was totally worth it!! The gig was sold out so a good solid crowd was there to listen to some great music. They played all their most famous songs including 'Getting Wise' and 'Polka' from the car ad (for those that live in Oz). If I'm talking sound I think they have a bit of Franz Ferdinand thing going with some Cold War Kids in there. The Cold War Kids thing now makes a lot of sense as their record is produced by Kevin Augunas who worked with Cold War Kids. These guys are really something to look out for so don't waste anytime and go check out their work!!!

I have to say I discovered another band, Philadelphia Grand Jury who blew me away and I have to admit I might just like them a little bit more than Yves Klein Blue...sorry I can't help it. You can listen to some of their stuff here. Also, you MUST see them live wherever you are. I can't remember the other support act's name but they were fairly good and I can only describe their sound as power-pop. The venue itself was great...it had a real grunge vibe and I think it can rival some of the more famous Melbourne venues like East Brunswick Club and the Espy.

Anyways, my friends and I were lucky enough to have our photo taken at the gig so their below and click here for the actual gig piccies. It looks good doesn't it...

No comments: