Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Tunes for Winter

Hey lovelies

I hope all that live in Oz had a wonderful long weekend as I did and weren't too cold! I don't know where all my readers are from but here this past weekend in Melbourne it has been bloody freezing, rainy and winter has only officially started a few days ago. But that didn't stop me as my family had a small gathering at our house for an umbrella-less evening of wine, takeaway pizza and movies including my all time fave Empire Records. However, that got me thinking about songs that make you feel warm on the inside like when you walk into a room with a fireplace going after you've come in from the cold or just feel like winter. This was not as easy as it seems as I've been thinking about this all weekend and I finally came up with 5 songs.
  1. Helpless - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. This is a pretty sad song but to me it has a quality to it that reminds me to rug up. I always bring out my Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young collection in winter as it feels like the most appropriate time for songs with darker subject matter and beautiful harmonies.
  2. Skinny Love - Bon Iver. For basically the same reasons above except that I've only known about this guy for no more than 8 months.

  3. Next Year - Foo Fighters. You might be suprised to know that this is possibly my favourite Foo Fighters song of all time. Dave's voice is amazing on this and the whole album and I'm particuarly fond of this because the Foo are not too heavy. I know they can rock out but I like their softer side better.
  4. Warwick Avenue - Duffy. I think I added this one on the list because of the video which shows a cloud and somewhat cold London (I think...)
  5. Crazy - Gnarls Barkley. A great party song for any season really but when you can't be at a bar or club you may as well pump it out your stereo at home which in my case is surround sound with extra bass.
Everyone look to your right!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a really good blog. Please check mine out, as well.
http://montepenny.blogspot.com/

music=love said...

Thanks very much will definitely check yours out!

Anonymous said...

The only good thing about winter is my birthday and the music.
For Emma...is such a good winter album.
I also reckon The Lucksmiths make good winter music, but in a sitting down to read a book/knit kind of way.

music=love said...

Bon Iver makes me very happy and I love winter as I like the idea of rugging up and coming home to a toasty house.