Saturday, June 6, 2009

2009 Album Reviews: YEAH YEAH YEAHS - IT'S BLITZ!

Yeah Yeah Yeahs’ sound keeps evolving which I value very highly in a band as without it bands’ albums get boring, repetitive and predictable for audiences and critics. No band or artist should ever stay the same!!! Anyways, Yeah Yeah Yeahs manage to show off a less heavy sound and a more dancey-electronica based record on their third album, It’s Blitz! which I welcome for reasons above. I think the line “Off with your head...Dance ‘til you’re dead...” from ‘Heads Will Roll’ pretty much sums it all up...

For me, this is just what I have been waiting to hear this year without consciously knowing it. As soon as I heard the first single, ‘Zero’ I knew I would love the album and they manage to reach some extraordinary heights with this one while still maintaining YYYs distinctive style. The full on dance songs ‘Zero’, ‘Heads Will Roll’, ‘Soft Shock’ and ‘Dull Life’ are progressive songs that are full of great hooks and melodies but they are not lacking an emotional intensity to them. In fact the whole record has an incredible heart to it that sets it apart from every other dance-punk/pop album that has and will be released; and that’s saying something considering the amount of synth-based albums that will be released this year alone. There are songs that are less full on but still manage to keep the synthesizer as the main instrument of choice e.g. ‘Runaway’, ‘Dragon Queen’, ‘Hysteric’ and ‘Little Shadow’. These tunes helped me question what a dance song should be as previous dance songs even within the alternative genre often (not always) sound similar but these just sound different in every way. I’m particularly partial to ‘Runaway’ and ‘Hysteric’ for some reason but it will change again and as soon as I get over how overplayed ‘Zero’ is. I can’t go on without mentioning the drums on this record...Brian Chase does an amazing job! The drum parts have depth and are innovative that allow a dancey sound to become more present. As you can probably tell I play drums and I always listen closely to the drums on any record and this is by far the best I’ve heard all year.

I would also recommend you all go out and buy the Deluxe Edition as you get some amazing acoustic versions which in my opinion are just as good as the ones that appear on the standard release. I always find it interesting to see how bands do their own songs in a stripped back environment and YYYs give it to us in a way that makes the song feel new again but this has a lot to do with the fact that the 4 acoustic songs don’t have a synthesizer in sight.

This is a BLOODY FANTASTIC ALBUM and if you haven’t got it well you’re missing out. This is some of Yeah Yeah Yeahs finest work and hopefully they will continue to change it up and they will be recognised by all as the great band they have always been and still deserve to be. By the way, in case you were wondering if I had to rank as of now, my current list of albums of 2009 this would top it and I doubt anything that is to be released will come close to this. Happy Listening Everyone!





No comments: