Monday, February 2, 2009

2009 Album Reviews: KAISER CHIEFS - OFF WITH THEIR HEADS



Well I have to say this is a good record, not their best but still better than many others released today. I admit I was a bit sceptical when I heard that it was going to be produced by Mark Ronson. I am impressed with Mark Ronson's work particularly with Amy Winehouse and I did enjoy his covers record, 'Version' but I felt that his touch would ruin the Chiefs' rock sound. I was wrong! It is also important to note there are cameos by Lily Allen and New Young Pony Club in terms of backing vocals.

The album goes beyond their first two albums but people will be disappointed that it does not offer anything new. They still keep their basic sound and its easy to recognise them when they are played on the radio. There are those catchy songs which will no doubt be singles and hit the top of the British charts. However, it is still much better than Keane's most recent album 'Perfect Symmetry'.

The opening of the album is 'Spanish Metal' with a rocking song. It is the typical Chiefs but it has something extra like a weird synthesizer in there. I don't think this quite matches 'Everyday I Love You Less and Less' as an opener but its decent and I am not sure I hear Mark Ronson yet....hmmmm....interesting indeed.

'Never Miss A Beat' is the best song and its the first single. I did see the video before I listened to the song and I was not to keen but once I heard it without any images to distract me I found myself obsessed with it for a week. It was my most played on my Ipod but that has now gone to XR2 by M.I.A.

All the songs are worthwhile and once you hear 'Tomato in the Rain' you know why this band is successful. Its heartfelt and I can't wait to hear it live!!!!! Yay for the V Festival. "Yes....I do, know about you...."

The closing song, 'Remember You're a Girl' is a typical ballad and I believe it's very cliche to end a rock album with a ballad. This is not a bad song but the tracklisting could be rearranged and end with 'Always Happen Like That' (Lily Allen on backing vocals), maybe.

I see this as an album that gets better over time as each song can make you shrug your shoulders in indifference but it does get under your skin. Give it another listen!

No comments: