Sunday, November 15, 2009

2010 Album Releases: VAMPIRE WEEKEND - CONTRA


Everybodys favourite indie rockers Vampire Weekend are releasing their sophomore album, Contra on January 11th 2010. They have been described as Ivy League rock since the members of the band met while studying at Columbia University. These must be some reasonably smart guys or they are really good at faking it. Anyways, I loved their self-titled first album particularly 'Oxford Comma' which is just infectious pop/rock.

Contra seems to be more of the same which isn't necessarily a bad thing but can lead to bands being described as boring and non evolving. I believe most bands should evolve and take risks even if it doesn't necessarily pay off but at least they made an effort to do something that will go down in music history as unexpected. Back to Vampire Weekend, I've only heard the first single, 'Horchata' but who knows what the album will be like and I am certainly willing to be proven wrong.

Tracklisting:
  1. Horchata
  2. White Sky
  3. Holiday
  4. California English
  5. Taxi Cab
  6. Run
  7. Cousins
  8. Giving Up the Gun
  9. Diplomat's Son
  10. I Think Ur A Contra


Looking forward to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I"m really looking forward to this one. Cousins is even better than Horchata, and I've heard their album is quite different from their debut.