Sunday, October 18, 2009

Family Outing to IKEA

I know this is supposed to be a music blog but I decided to expand because I do have other interests hmmm....weird how that one works.

I must say this weekend has been relaxing unlike others where I've been too busy to just sit at home and listen to albums. That's my fave type of weekend where I can lose myself in an album or two. Anyways, today the whole family and I headed to IKEA to surprisingly not look at home wares and furniture but to eat in their restaurant. Personally I have come to hate the idea of restaurants attached to massive retail conglomerates due to many bad experiences in the States. However, IKEA has done the impossible made a cafeteria restaurant type thing not only a place with really good food but a good atmosphere as well.

We love Swedish food as my family and I have a personal connection with the country as we all, minus my brother lived there for a year and my Dad even longer. We have many Swedish friends so we have learnt what is good and what is mediocre and thus I am able to report that the Swedish meatballs are AMAZING! Obviously they will not be as good as the ones you can get in a local place in Sweden but here, there aren't any Swedish restaurants as far as I know (if there are any please recommend away).



Back to the topic at hand IKEA have a policy that encourages families to have a good time mixed with Swedish efficiency. Note, the fact that once you finish your meal you take your try with all your plates and cutlery to a rack so employees can do more important jobs than clean up mine and your mess. This is actually followed too. You get refillable drinks and eat in a way that suggests the Swedes have got it right. Are you interested yet??

I'm obviously sounding like some sort of advertisement for IKEA and freaky person but more importantly it's about family. Every week we do something together whether it be eat out or take a walk in the park but we bond over food, that's just what my family is like. We catch up on the goss, laugh with, and at each other and plan things all over a meal. It is a time for talk and laughter and IKEA just happened to be the vehicle to let this happen.

So if any of you out there have some time take your friends/family to IKEA for a meal instead of just shopping you won't be disappointed.

No comments: